Written By Sharon Charles BSc Nutrition Candidate
Reviewed by Andrea Miller MHSc, RD
Immersion blenders! What are they? How do you use them? Are these the questions you ask yourself when you think of an Immersion Blender? Well, you’ve come to the right place. Let me welcome you into a life made simple with the most compact and convenient kitchen tool of all – the Immersion Blender!
What is an Immersion Blender?
An immersion blender has a long neck, a handle and a blade at the end. Most immersion blenders come with a button or an easy way to detach a portion of the immersion blender for easy clean-up. Immersion blenders are compact, handheld, light and easy to maneuver. To use an immersion blender, all you need to do is snap on the headpiece (if it comes un-assembled), plug it in and turn it on. Yes, that simple! When you’re done with the immersion blender, you can simply remove the headpiece and scrub with soapy water, rinse and let it dry.
Recipes you can make using an Immersion Blender:
Fresh, homemade mayonnaise:
Skip the shelf-stable, store bought mayonnaise. It’s time you treat yourself to a dollop of fresh, homemade mayonnaise with your next meal or recipe.
Mayonnaise is an emulsification between oil and an egg. An immersion blender comes handy in being able to whip the egg, while slowly adding the oil. The trick to getting the perfect mayonnaise is to add the oil very slowly. You need time for the emulsifier to take in the oil and to be able to give you a smooth, rich consistency.
To make the mayonnaise, you will need:
- One room temperature large egg (make sure that it is room temperature)
- One cup of olive oil
- About 2 teaspoons of lemon juice
- Salt and mustard
- Break egg into a medium bowl.
- Add in a sprinkle of salt to give your mayo a hint of flavor.
- Add in 2 teaspoons of lemon juice
- Take the immersion blender and rest it at the bottom of the bowl. Blend the mayo by first resting the immersion blender at the bottom of the bowl. Once the ingredients have started to combine, begin to lift the immersion blender slightly upwards to ensure you have combined everything well.
There you have it! You’re all done. With minimal clean up and time taken to make it, this recipe should be on your list of quick things to prepare! Be sure to taste your homemade mayo – it will taste quite different (and better in my opinion) than the store-bought version.
Roasted Tomato and Garlic Soup:
This recipe is one of my personal favorites and it has become even more of a go-to recipe since my immersion blender has made it so easy.
The ingredients need include:
- 1 lb cherry or baby roma tomatoes
- 5 cloves of garlic
- 1 medium sweet onion, diced
- 1 16oz can of roma tomatoes
- 2 cups of vegetable stock
- 1 small bunch of fresh basil
- olive oil
- salt and pepper
- Preheat the oven to 400ºF
- Peel the garlic cloves (mincing is not necessary as this is where the blender comes into play!)
- In a medium bowl, toss the roma tomatoes and garlic with 3-4 Tbsp olive oil. Transfer to a baking pan and roast at 400ºF for 35 minutes.
- Saute the onion over medium heat using in 2-3 tbsp of oil.
- In a large pot, mix the roasted tomatoes, garlic and canned tomatoes. Add the vegetable broth. Add the basil, and the onion.
- Simmer for 20 minutes.
- Let the soup cool for a bit and bring out the immersion blender. You can blend the soup right in the pot to a smooth, creamy consistency. Add salt and pepper, to taste.
Tips and Tricks:
- Be sure to use tall bowls or pots while using an immersion blender since it may splatter.
- Allow hot soups or sauces to cool slightly, before using an immersion blender.
Immersion blenders are a great way to whip up meals with minimal clean up, time and work. Try using an immersion blender in any recipe that involves pureeing or blending – you won’t be disappointed!