Written by Sharon Charles BSc Nutrition (Candidate)
Reviewed by Andrea Miller MHSc, RD
Do you find yourself snacking in between work or classes? Need an extra boost between meals? Look no further! Here are our top 15 snacks that are sure to satisfy your cravings.
Looking for a crunch?
- Pair your favorite crunchy vegetables with dips!
Some crunchy vegetables include:
- Celery sticks
- Carrot sticks
- Bell peppers
- Grape tomatoes
- Roasted Chickpeas: Preheat your oven to 425ºF, toss chickpeas in olive oil (or your oil of choice), sprinkle with your favorite seasonings (salt, pepper, garlic, chili), bake for 10-15 minutes or until the chickpeas brown.
- Baked zucchini chips – just what it sounds like! Thinly slice zucchini’s, sprinkle with seasoning and pop into the oven! A scrumptious and very quick snack!
- Trail Mix – ideas include brazil nuts, pistachios, roasted edamame, cashews, almonds. Optional: yogurt chips, chocolate chips, vanilla chips.
Want to satisfy your sweet tooth?
- Cheese + crackers + fruits – try a variety of cheeses such as brie, cheddar, camembert (and even non-dairy options!)
- Frozen grapes – tastes like candy!
- Yogurt chips – my personal favorite! Grab a sandwich bag and fill with your favorite yogurt (optional: add toppings), snip off the corner of the bag and make tiny dots on a parchment lined tray. Pop in the freezer and wait 6-7 hours (or until frozen).
- Oatmeal cups – Either as an on-the-go breakfast or as a mid-afternoon snack, this is a must try! (Read: https://www.livewellbakeoften.com/apple-cinnamon-baked-oatmeal-cups/)
- Chocolate Energy bites – Anything involving brownies in the title is sure to catch my attention! Here is the perfect snack (and maybe dessert) to satisfy your chocolate cravings. (Read: https://jessicainthekitchen.com/no-bake-brownie-energy-bites/?sf_paged=3)
- Hard boiled eggs – A classic, go-to source of protein
- Greek yogurt + chopped nuts / granola – Just a ½ cup of plain Greek yogurt packs in 12 grams of protein!
- String cheese + fruits
- Tuna + crackers – Mix up a batch of tuna with yogurt, and add in avocados, diced red onions, or diced celery.
- Nuts and seeds
- Chocolate milk
These are just a few of the many ideas out there to help you get started on ideas for snacks. Snacking can support a nutritious lifestyle by choosing from the various food groups and tweaking ideas to fit your taste buds.
Get your snack on!