Created by Sharon Charles BSc Nutrition (Candidate)
Reviewed by Andrea Miller MHSc, RD
As the days get colder here in Canada, all you may want to do is snuggle up in a blanket and keep yourself warm. Well, a healthy and nutritious way to keep yourself cozy this season is by warming up to some meals made in the slow cooker! Here are two recipes which I can personally say are crowd pleasers and will have you eagerly awaiting the next time you can whip up a batch.
Recipe 1: Awesome Apple Sauce
What you will need:
- Optional: Cinnamon
Can you believe that this recipe only calls for one ingredient – apples?! Me neither. I couldn’t believe you would only need the apples in your fridge to whip up some warm, velvety apple sauce. Obviously I tried it and obviously I absolutely loved it! Maybe you will too. The minimal prep time means there are no excuses to not have a healthy yet delicious snack on hand.
- Core and slice the apples. I recommend you leave the skin on the apples.
- Add half a cup of water to the slow cooker
- Add the sliced apples to the slow cooker
- Turn the slow cooker to high and leave it on for about 3 to 4 hours
- When you return, the apples should have turned into a mush.
- Transfer the lumpy apple sauce to a mixer and blend for 1 to 2 minutes.
- All done! Enjoy your apple sauce!
Recipe 2: Easy Slow cooker chili
Snuggle up with a hearty bowl of nutritious and easy chili! This recipe also calls for minimal prep time. I must you warn you however, that once you make this delicious recipe, you’ll be reaching for more every time.
What you will need:
- 2 pounds ground beef
- 1 can of kidney beans
- 1 large diced onion
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 4 minced garlic cloves
- 1/3 cup chili powder
- 2 tbsp crushed red pepper
- 3 tbsp ground cumin
- 56 oz of canned crushed tomatoes
- pinch of salt and pepper to taste
- Bring out a large frying pan and sauté the diced onions. When lightly browned, add the ground beef and cook until no longer pink. Add the garlic, chili powder, cumin, red pepper and salt and pepper.
- Transfer the mixture to the slow cooker.
- Use a strainer to drain the excess liquid from the canned kidney beans.
- Add the canned kidney beans, crushed tomatoes and bell peppers to the slow cooker.
- Stir the mixture well and cover it with the slow cooker lid. Set the slow cooker to high and leave on for about 3 to 4 hours.
- The hearty and warm aroma of the chili will beckon you into the kitchen when it’s done. Enjoy!